TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Timinig belt and marks were all on...
People Seeking Info

Subject Timinig belt and marks were all on...

Posted by TURBOGAGE(MATTZ Garage) on March 25, 2009 at 11:03 AM
  This message has been viewed 377 times.

In Reply To Quick update on the 1000 RWHP beast......... posted by Greg D. (Specialty-Z) on March 24, 2009 at 07:56 PM

Message Before Steve took his monster, he asked me to reset the cam gears... he had them at full advance... Anyways, I preset set them at approx 6 degrees advanced and pulled back all the timing cover to verify that all the gears were in there place, and they were all on mark. With that said, if one was off, it may have happened at any one of the cam adjustment times as it can be a bear with the spring loads and high lift cams slipping back or forward impacting the gear or giving a false sense of spring tension as possibly an adjusting bolt not being loose enough and pulling the gear off the belt. During some preliminary test runs, if the belt were off, that's nearly an 11 degree difference from one side to the next and I would have seen some significant differences/changes in idle and EGT temps during the runs - of which both Octavian and I did not see.

At this point, no one really knows how or why, but I do know the marks were on when the beast left, and now, the marks will be back on and we'll finally see the power we're supposed to.

And as far as degreeing the cams initially for Steve's car, to put the cams on there peaks/in line, the driver side intake needed between 1.5 and 2 degrees more advancement than the passenger and the exhaust cams came in nearly perfect. From there it's fine tuning.

Thank you to all who have been following the progress of Steve's car during the big power posts.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Best run: 1.60 60', 11.319 @ 120.65 mph - 118 octane fuel (on 100 octane tune), 22 degrees of timing, 21-22 psi boost, 11 psi tire pressure (street slicks).
"..know your car better... RACE IT!.. AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE.."
"Drag racing is for fast cars... Autocross is for fast drivers... Drifting is for cheap tires..." I made up the last one..

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.